Saturday, February 28, 2009

Midnight rambling

I had strep throat this week.  It sucked, because I also just sent out progress reports and my little 5th graders have gone crazy, and the resulting drop in grades has left me with several parent conferences that need attending to.  And it's the rare parent who asks "what can I do to help my kid get their shit together," instead of saying "you need to be doing more to help them be successful."  I have to admit that I do actually have many parents who are supportive and who I just love. But the few who inevitably go into hysterics and start talking about how much they spend, and blah blah blah, really test my patience.  I am NOT very diplomatic when I'm sick.  In fact, I get kind of bitchy, and have little patience for emotional loonies, especially when the simple truth is that I take incredibly good care of their kids and if they'd put a little effort into actually parenting their children instead of trying to make them happy all the time, the world would literally change.

Did I mention that the filter between my brain and my mouth doesn't work well when I am sick?

I am about to start back to school for my doctorate on Monday.  I took a semester off because of my health issues, but I am as ready as I'll ever be to get back at it.

Nick made his HS swimteam, and his coach loves him.  He's leaps and bounds ahead of the other freshmen, and he likes his teammates. I think the exercise is making him feel better too, which is great.  He's a really good swimmer, and I'm really happy for him.

Erin is hopelessly addicted to Civ IV.  Seriously, she played it for over 5 hours today.  She gets all snitty when you try to talk to her while she's playing.  She's as bad about Civ as I was about poker at my worst.  Someone should do an intervention.

We just finished watching Rome again, and if you've never seen it, you should; it's awesome.

Our kittens have doubled in size, and are too cute.  There are a few pics at the bottom of the post.

Gran Torino is a great movie.  Clint is The Man.

I hit 20 year sober two weeks ago.  I'll be 38 two weeks from now.

No one I hung out with in HS or in college is on Facebook.  I keep trying to find something I like about Facebook, but I can't.  Like the movie History of Violence, Facebook is a stupid piece of crap, and I am right about this despite  the 99 percent of you who think Facebook (and History of Violence) is awesome. It's not.  You all have been victims of clever marketing and mob mentality if you believe something so incredibly mediocre and clunky is actually cool. 

I know I'm at least a litttle hypocritical about the Facebook thing because I still occasionally use it, but for me it's kind of like re-trying foods I don't like; every so often I try things again just to confirm that they still   suck.

 And finally, I was watching Armageddon tonight (I can't believe that with 500 plus channels this is what I have to settle with) and there was a character who looked so familiar I had to look him up because I thought he looks just like Hurley from Lost.  It turns out it's not him, but check out how much alike they look!

And here are the kittens.

3 comments:

k said...

Your kittens are cute.

You are right about parents who don't parent, but rather try to please, be cool, and otherwise fit in with their children as if they are one of them and this somehow makes them special parents with a special relationship to their children, the rest of us just can't understand.

You are right about Facebook. It's something I knew intuitively. I don't have a Facebook account because of it, well that and the whole stalker-guy thing.

Strep sucks, sorry you were sick.

Good luck getting back on the doctoral horse. That's a much better feeling endeavor than trying to appease sucky parents, etc.

Erin said...

That is an insufferably cute stripey-faced cat.

Unknown said...

I loved this blog post. This week has pretty much sucked. This blog post shined a light through the slimy darkness that is currently encasing my soul.