Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Who I've been hanging out with







Another opportunity presented itself today for me to get nose-to-nose with a hummingbird. We were eating dinner on the porch, and I noticed that a hummingbird at the feeder appeared to be eating an ant. Only he wasn't eating it. It was eating him. The ant (a big sucker) had bitten the bird's tongue, and the bird couldn't get it off. We watched the bird struggle with it for a few minutes before we realized it was stuck, then Sara went in and go a paper towel, grabbed the bird, and then Jan plucked the ant off. The bird was exhausted and sat in Sara's hand a few minutes, before buzzing to the feeder. I got a good closeup, but it is a little dark. Then we went and took pics of the neighbor's baby foal Bella. Oh yeah, I got some good geese shots too. I miss living where there's more than just spiders and rattle snakes.


2 comments:

Erin said...

You're right! Those teenager-geese are about the most sickeningly cute things ever!

k said...

I'd give anything for horses, Montana, and cool air.