Wednesday, January 21, 2009

More concrete change in 24 hours than Bush made in 8 years

For all the BS Bush gave about being a Washington outsider, and his mission to "change things in Washington," things went along pretty much as usual after he was elected. Of course, Clinton, Bush Sr. and Reagan all made similar promises of reform. Yet no real changes were made.

So how completely refreshing (and I'm sure totally shocking to the Billyfishes of the world) when today, on his first day in office, Obama closed the revolving door on people employed by his administration.
THEN he put a salary freeze on his staff who make more than $100,000 a year.
Heavy, revolutionary lobbyist reform. Before noon on his first day.

Oh, and he also committed to closing Gauntanimo within a year.

And I did mention 'concrete' in my post title, so listen to this...
Today our local FOX station ran a piece on how Obama's grassroots election campaign has been transformed into a community action network, and here that meant that a local school in need of a paint job (due to the lack of funds in our state budget for such things, as our gov doesn't want to raise taxes, because, you know, businesses suffer) got one, from a variety of people in the community who believe in Obama's message of change and his call to civic responsibility. They used his outreach resources to coordinate. Read all about it here.

Change isn't just coming; it's already here.


2 comments:

Tyson said...

BTW,
I often use Billyfish as my foil in political posts. But you should know that I don't really dislike him. I just enjoy having a face to attach to my political ranting because it gives me the focus to think through a more tangible argument than if I am just putting ideas into the void.
Billyfish is much like my brother in that I think he's a decent guy, he's just misguided politically-speaking, and I like to hope that if I some day come up with just the right words, he (and people like him) will realize the error of their ways. :)

k said...

And, "I" thank you for it! The two of you really know how to do entertainment. It's like reality television, only, realer.