Sunday, June 22, 2008

Gaaahhh!


Some people have too much time on their hands. I'm one of those people, at least for the next month or so. I'd like to be one of the ones who knows how to use their free time to do something creative, or constructive, or social, or whatever, but Elaine pretty much nailed it when she said "look around, say 'fuck it,' and go sit on the couch and look for more cool things on the internet" in response to my post a few days back.
We have had friends visiting from Cali for the last few days, which has been great, as it's gotten us out of the house. However, Toyota still hasn't finished our car yet, but they at least gave us a rental with AC so we can now leave the house without having to put up with extreme discomfort. I had to drive the van across town yesterday at 4:00, and I'm not exaggerating when I say it was at least 120 degrees in my car, because it was about 112 outside and my van was much, much hotter. By the time I got home, I was hot to the point of nearly tearing up, and I was practically delirious. But then Erin showed up in a scion with excellent AC, and I was so happy we just drove around the block a few times to recapture the feeling of driving without being miserable.
So anyway, we were out with our friends, hanging out by the pool after dark, and, to my horror, Erin was wondering "who the fat guy with our friend was," when she realized it was me.
Fucking ouch!
But it is true. My spare tire has expanded in the last months or so up toward my shoulders, and my thighs brush against each other when I walk, which is really, really annoying.
I don't look like a blimp or anything, but goddamn it if I haven't always assumed I'd be skinny as a rail without ever having to worry about it. And now I'm not.
I eat pretty healthy, but have done dick for exercise for the last few months, and it's starting to show.
So we went to the gym today, but I'm not very hopeful at the moment. I've been doing the gym thing on and off for several years, and I'm obviously not doing something right. Although to be fair, I've never really gained significant weight or changed pant or shirt sizes until the last few months. This simply will not do.
OK, enough complaining and enough whining. I'll post something more cheerful someday, maybe.


5 comments:

k said...

Welcome to the 40's. No, you're technically not quite there yet, but then the "terrible two's" are not strictly for the 12 months of a child's 2nd year. And the gym thing, unless it's damn near everyday and breaking a sweat, don't bother, you'll see no results.

Congrats on the vehicular A/C. Now go for a jog!

Michael said...

If you were here, I would constantly be making fat jokes and calling you "tons of fun" and telling you to "lay off the Twinkies" and all that. So, uh, just imagine me doing that, then cackling wildly, then complaining about how bad I want to smoke.

k said...

So I guess "Snowing the Fat Man" is you without a shirt?

Unknown said...

You guys are fucking mean.

And I love you.

k said...

Mean from the bottom of my pitch filled little heart.