Sunday, March 30, 2008

The manic, surface part-of-me

There is some stuff that makes me happy in my daily life, and not just the obvious stuff, like Erin or Nick, or any of our too-numerous pets.
What stuff, you ask? Well, for one, there are a few webcomics that are literal hi-lites during my day. Dinosaur Comics, XKCD, Questionable Content, and A Softer World are a few. Do yourselves a favor and spend a little time going through their archives... I'll be surprised if you don't find them entertaining. These people write with such wit that it makes me envious. If I could hang out for a day or two with anyone, these writers would top my list, along with Trey Parker and Mat Stone. How they can sustain such cleverness is beyond me, but it's uplifting.
Other things lately include this picture



and the story attached to it. I mean, how cool is that?
What else?

Well, aside from Battlestar Galactica, The Office, Reaper, and My Name is Earl all coming back with new seasons here in the next few weeks, there's the fact that after 8 years, I am finally switching campuses and moving to teach 5th grade at our Middle School next year. While it isn't exactly what I wanted, I am ripe for a change, and I'll have opportunities to put some of the leadership practices I am studying in my doctoral program to use.
Another cool thing lately was our climbing trip to Red Rocks last week. Nick, while I love him, has terrible couch-potato tendencies, and a general lack of enthusiasm typical of an 8th grader, so I was delighted with how excited he was to climb, and even more so with his efforts. The climb was a frictiony 5.8 , and he was totally determined to climb well, he took instruction, and he was way more persistent in his efforts than I could have imagined. We'll be going again on Thursday where we will climb something a little more traditional, and I'll post more pics. In the mean time, here are a few of from Red Rocks...




And finally, I got a cowboy hat. Yes, a cowboy hat.... and I LIKE it.

4 comments:

Brannon said...

That Leopard story is cool. And I'm very impressed with that picture of Nick.

Tyson said...

Isn't it cool? It's classic climbing form. It looks even better in a full-sized pic; you can see how he's really just smearing his shoe, as there are no footholds to speak of.

k said...

I like the pics... I want to get together again. It was so much fun!

I'll have to come to the comics and Leopard Story... I have major homework this week.

Unknown said...

Way to go, Nick.