Monday, October 13, 2008

Please don't read this one, mom...

Or if you do, don't mention it when we see you!

I run an after-school comics club on Mondays. We spend our time either reading, writing or drawing comics, and I have lots of fun with it. Today, we worked on poetry comics, which is where you take a poem and try to use the imagery to make a coherent comic. Shell Silverstein comics are a particularly good place to start, as the poems are very visual and often funny. I will post some of my students' comics in the near future, when they are done.
As most of you know, I am a huge fan of graphic novels and of comics in general. However, I am realizing that the selection of my favorite comics I can share with my club is narrower than I first imagined. Just too many of my favorites too are "R" rated in content to share with 5th and 6th graders. This is unfortunate, because among my favorites are some excellent examples of genre bending, which I'd just love to share with someone besides Erin. Ideally, I could do comics club with the High School or even college aged students, who would be mature enough to deal with the content and educated enough to examine them more as Art or Social Commentary.
Anyway, One of my favorite web comics, Questionable Content, led me to the following comic, which was terribly funny. For those Palin-McCain fans out there (I hear you're out there somewhere!) maybe you ought to stop here.

Making comics is fun!


5 comments:

Michael said...

zing!

Erin said...

pwned!

Unknown said...

boosh!

Brannon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brannon said...

http://www.palinaspresident.com/