Thursday, July 10, 2008

I guess Erin's not so bad after all

So I wasn't looking forward to the long drive up here to Summit county, considering how messed up my shoulders and neck had been. I only drove 6 hours Tuesday, which really isn't much for me, and I stopped in Green River, Utah at a cheap motel called the Robber's Roost. It was 15 dollars cheaper than the Motel 6, and bigger and nicer as well. I went to sleep about 2, and got a decent night's sleep, all things considered.
Well, the next day (yesterday) was just awful. I got a breakfast burito and a mocha on the way out of town, and within about 15 minutes, I started to feel sick. Food poisoning sick. I managed to drive the 90 or so miles to Fruita, Co. where I had to pull over and puke my guts out on the side of the road. Lovely.
On top of the nausea, I still had about 3 hours of driving to do, and I was feeling the way everyone feels when they can't hold anything down. I tried drinking water, but puked that up too.
So I stopped for a nap under a tree near Rifle, Colorado. After nearly an hour I decided that I had to continue on. I still felt like shit, but since I'd given up on eating or drinking anything, I figured the best thing to do was drive on, as the longer I waited, the worse and more dehydrated I'd feel.
I made it without incident to the top of Vail pass, which is about 2o miles from my sis's house, and there on the side of the road were two perfect little lakes, with fish rising. I pulled over, intending to fish for only a few minutes, but as soon as I stepped out of the car, I got so dizzy I gave up on the idea. You know I'm really sick when I can't stop to fish in a spot like that. It sucked.
Anyway, I got to Nicole's, and fell asleep from 4 til about 8:30. I felt much better, though still very weak. Nicole had gotten me some pedialite (which is gross, but does the job) and some chicken noodle soup. I ate, drank, watched So you think you can dance, and went back to sleep at 11.
This morning, I woke up feeling much better than I have in days. I ate a bagel for breakfast (I didn't want to over-do it in case the sickness was lingering) and I went fishing.
Well, I don't know if it's the bug passing, or the mountain air, or just the act of fishing, but I feel great. I caught 3 trout, and long distance released (that's lost to you non-fishers out there) 4 others, and it was just great. My biggest fish of the day came when I was walking back to the car. I called Erin to check in and say hi, and while we were talking I just kind of absent-mindedly flicked my fly behind a rock one-handed, and this healthy trout just swam up and ate it. I was like "Oh my gosh! I caught a fish!" and Erin was like, "What?" and I told her I had to go so I could play and land him. all I had on me was my phone, but I managed 3 pics of the fish, a nice fat rainbow trout of probably 15 inches or so. I tried to text-message the pics to Erin, but she doesn't get multimedia on her phone, so the pics will have to wait til I get home and can download them from my phone to my laptop.
So in the end, I'll credit Erin for that last one. In spite of her hook fiasco in the Sierras a few weeks ago, I never woulld have caught this fish if I hadn't stopped in that spot to call her, so it all worked out. :)

7 comments:

Erin said...

I still hate you! :*

Unknown said...

Ka is a wheel.

LOL.

k said...

Send yer pics to go@blogger.com and it'll show up as a new post here. I don't like fish stories without pics. Puke stories without pics is fine. I just need to verify the fishy details.

Oh and this is Brannon posting on Elaine's Computer.

k said...

Imagine my surprise when I looked to read the comments, and saw I had made one, at 4:56 a.m. no less. It was kind of a weird, small little moment of "What did I say? When did I do that?" for about a second of frozen time.

Of course, it wasn't 4:56 a.m. here, just on Tyson's blog.

k said...

You know... I am glad Erin is wonderful and all, but I'd really like to know how your elbow is??

Erin said...

He's fishing, Elaine. He doesn't remember he even HAS an elbow.

k said...

He should not take his elbow for granted like that. Without his elbow, there would be no fishing. Poor sad, little elbow. Now we understand your pain.