Sunday, May 04, 2008

Choose your own adventure

I was poking around the nets when I came across something about choose your own adventure books (CYOA). I loved them as a kid, and I even bought a series of used Endless Quest ones for my classroom a few years ago on Ebay.


So anyway, as I was poking around, I came across this picture:


And I thought, "How cool!"
I remember reading many CYOA style books as a kid, and most weren't of the official line, but were clones, and are lost to me. I even had a few that were romances, fantasy fiction targeting a girl audience by having smarmy smooches mixed in with all the dragons and magic and stuff.
While I wasn't able to find reference to some of the more obscure series (I have fogotten their names!) I did come across some interesting new books, campy CYOA style books that are sort of a tongue-in-cheek combination of B-movie and harlequin romance.
With titles like Tangle in Tijuana, Beauty Queen Blowout, or the best one (shut up Michael!), Escape From Fire Island, how can you go wrong?
I remember writing a comp. program in BASIC in 7th grade where we were basically copying a Zork story, and I think it would be fun to try to perhaps do an audience participation type event where we make a CYOA story, only the choices would send a reader to someone else's blog; it might be a fun thing for those of us who wish we were writers to do this summer...
Anyway, I have to think on it for awhile. If you have any suggestions, let me hear them.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm in. But I call dibs on all the smarmy parts.

k said...

Sounds fun.

Michael said...

What it sounds like is........oh, nevermind. ( the "Fire Island" thing is just too easy )

DBB said...

Chimney Rock was the very first Choose Your Own Adventure book I ever got - I still remember it - I still have it, too, along with maybe 10 or 15 others from that series (which started with Cave of Time, I think).